Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Revealers-Keeping Quiet

Novel connection. When Richie punches Russell in the face, his mother wants to call the principal, however, Russell wants to keep quiet about the whole incident. Russell’s mom’s response was, “I’m not doing nothing. If one adult did this to another, he be in jail. Why should it be different for kids?” (p. 45)


Blog Question: Should kids solve their own problems or should adults/parents get involved? Explain.

Sometimes it's hard to be a kid. Everybody's probably heard that before, but I want to enforce that. Middle school is full of decisions and choices you have to make and you feel if you don't make the decision people around you think you should make, you fall fast. This might have been one of the reasons Russell felt his mom shouldn't get involved. Sometimes kids want to be independent and solve their own problems. This might have been part of why Russell didn't want his mother to get involved, but this problem was bigger than him.
On page 46, Russell says, "I think he felt bad." This is another reason he didn't want his mom (or another adult) to get involved.
In conclusion, I think adults/parents shouldn't get involved, at least in this case. It seems, later on in the book, when Russell, Catilina, and Elliot set up the Revealer, they are solving their own problems. The adults didn't get involved, but this is case specific and if you have a problem bigger than everybody, you need to add people up so you are bigger than the problem.

3 comments:

  1. Yours is so much better than mine! I like your introduction. It's the best part I think. Actually no, the whole thing is the best part.Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, parents/adults should give kids a chance to solve their own problems, but if the problem is way over their heads then they'll need to get help from adults or parents. Anyways I love your answer, it gave excellent examples and reasons on how and why kids can be independent.It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you taylor, since kids don't really share most of their problems with their paretns, they often solve their problems themselves. I like the way you have explained the part of the parents/adults and how they should give the kids to solve their own problems. Your explanation was very clear, and detailed.I also liked it a lot. Your whole paragraph was really good and it was definetly better than mine.

    ReplyDelete